Feb 01, 2023
The secondary and K-12 teacher education programs are housed in the department of the area of emphasis. Please see those sections for more details.
Secondary and K-12 Teacher Education Programs
General Education Courses Required for Secondary and K-12 Teacher Education Programs
- LUMS 2003 - Explorations in Math/Science: Power of Science I/Biology and Chemistry (3) F, SP
Science teaching majors- see specific degree plans.
- EN 1313 - University Writing (3) F, SP, SU and
- CO 1003 - Introduction to Communication (3) F, SP
- EN 2153 - Survey of World Literature I (3) F, SP, SU or
- EN 2163 - Survey of World Literature II (3) F, SP or
- LULT 2043
(English teaching majors take 2153)
- LU 1203 - Lipscomb Experience (3)
- LUHP 2xn3 - Explorations in History: (selected topic) (3) F, SP
- EN 1113 - Introduction to University Writing (3) F, SP
- MA 1043 - Survey of the Fundamentals of Mathematics (3) F, SP, SU or
- MA 1113 - College Algebra (3) F, SP, SU
(Math and physics majors take 1314; chemistry majors take 1135)
- PE 2012 - Lifetime Wellness (2) F, SP, SU
Core Professional Education Courses for Secondary and K-12 Teacher Education Programs
No grade below “C” will be accepted for any professional education course.
For other academic requirements, consult the Teacher Education Handbook.
Specialized Professional Courses
See each major. Note: Candidates must take and pass the appropriate PRAXIS II national teacher’s exam(s) in order to enroll in Student Teaching (Clinical Practice III) as well as complete and pass EdTPA to be recommended for licensure.
Requirements for Specific Secondary and K-12 Teaching Majors
Refer to each department’s section for teaching major requirements.
Visual arts teaching major
Biology teaching major
Chemistry teaching major
English teaching major
French teaching major
German teaching major
Health and physical education teaching major
History teaching major
Mathematics teaching major
Music teaching majors (instrumental and vocal)
Physics teaching major
Spanish teaching major
Theatre teaching major
The program in teacher education is developmental in nature. It is outlined as a tier system and must be followed closely. Exceptions must be approved by the Director of Teacher Education.